Apple Cider Sweet Potatoes
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup Apple Cider
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbs. Butter
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
Combine the sweet potatoes, apple cider and salt in a large pot over high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
*Mash potatoes together with the cider until smooth. Stir in the butter, and season with pepper.
Applesauce Cookies with Caramel Frosting
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups applesauce
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside.
- Cream sugar and shortening together.
- Add eggs and applesauce and mix well.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Drop small spoonfuls of batter on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes.
The Caramel Frosting
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, heavy cream and brown sugar.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until mixture just begins to boil; remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool, then stir in the powdered sugar.
- Spread frosting over cookies.