As this year's Rose Parade approaches, the Pasadena Fire Department is issuing safety tips for the thousands of overnight campers who line the route on New Year's Eve.
The parade route will be a safer place if everyone follows the rules and regulations intended for the safety of all parade-goers. Here is what you can and can't do along the route.
What You Can Do:
- Overnight camping is permitted only on the night of December 31.
- A permanent position on the sidewalk may be maintained along the parade route beginning at noon on December 31.
- The "Blue Line" is the honor line. All persons and property such as blankets, chairs, etc., must remain on the curb until 11 p.m. on December 31. At that time spectators may move out to the honor line.
- Small, professionally manufactured barbeques elevated at least one foot off the ground are allowed on the parade route 25' from buildings or other combustibles. A fire extinguisher and water must be readily available.
- Minors under the age of 18 may be on the parade route from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. only if they are under the supervision of adults.
- Dress for cold weather. Children and seniors may need extra layers of clothing to avoid hypothermia.
- Stay hydrated and consume nourishing meals to avoid dehydration.
- Report any suspicious activities and packages to emergency authorities along the parade route.
- In case of emergency, call (626) 744-4241 from cell phones or 9-1-1 from landline phones.
- Know cross streets from where you are calling.
What You Can't Do:
- Open containers of alcohol are illegal on public streets, sidewalks and all other public areas.
- Tents, sofas and boxes of any type that can be used as stools or seats are prohibited are not permitted along the route.
- Unoccupied chairs are not allowed.
- Bonfires are strictly prohibited and considered "illegal burns."
- Fireworks are prohibited except as part of scheduled official events.
- No items may be sold along the parade route without a permit.
- No public areas (sidewalks, curbs, gutters, streets) may be cordoned or roped off.
- No ladders or scaffolding may be used as elevation for viewing the activities.
- It is illegal to buy, sell or give away horns on the parade route.
- Pets are not recommended along the parade route because they are easily frightened with sudden, loud noises.
- Selling space along the parade route, other than grandstand seating, is illegal.
- Throwing any projectile into the parade, including seemingly harmless items such as tortillas, marshmallows, flowers, etc., is prohibited.
- Vehicles obstructing emergency lanes will be towed.