El Centro de Accion Social Friends, one of our 20/20 Partners, El Centro de Accion Social, has a part-time position opening. Executive Director Randy Ertll has requested that we share the position description with 20/20 Partners . . .
Job Description: El Centro Violence Prevention Community Organizer – El Centro de Accion Social – Pasadena
Purpose: A Healthy and Safe San Gabriel Valley: To establish a regional collaborative of systems leaders, non-profit organizations and elected officials to identify policy and practice changes that promote community health and support youth and their families in San Gabriel Valley.
Job Summary: The El Centro Community Organizer reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for the overall organizing, implementation, and management of El Centro de Accion Social’s “A Healthy and Safe San Gabriel Valley” project.
The El Centro Violence Prevention Community Organizer will ensure programmatic effectiveness and efficient implementation of activities, scheduling meetings, creating a steering committee/collaborative that would represent the communities of Pasadena, Altadena, Duarte, Monrovia, Azusa, El Monte, and other cities.
- Establish and strengthen partnerships among community-based organizations, systems leaders and elected officials in the San Gabriel Valley by developing a cross-sector collaborative, coalition monthly meetings and developing fact sheets on targeted communities. Helps to oversees and lead the development, implementation, management, evaluation, and research efforts related to the “A Healthy and Safe San Gabriel Valley.”
- Increase capacity among community organizations and systems leaders to reduce violence and improve community health in the San Gabriel Valley. Plan and implement at least two trainings on community policing and conflict resolution, identify and review research on community conditions that contribute to violence. Develop a working partnership with Western Justice Center and the Advancement Project.
- Help to increase engagement among community organizations and system leaders in efforts to reduce community violence and promote community health in San Gabriel Valley – develop an action plan and policy report, develop a web-site, publish various opinion columns/letters to the editor in local newspapers and help to organize a wide scale peace walk.
- Monitor, evaluate, and implement progress of project. Supervise project volunteers and manages activities of the collaborative - to ensure that quality services and effective program implementation is taking place. Conducts research and make recommendations based on data/research.
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in relevant field (sociology, education, or the social sciences) strongly preferred. Extensive knowledge of the issues affecting community members who live in the San Gabriel Valley area. Community organizing and research skills required.
- Strong planning, organizational, and multi-tasking skills required. Excellent interpersonal and supervisory skills required including the ability to develop, implement and inspire others to share
- Ability to work as a leading member of multiple teams and to facilitate team building in the process; ability to effectively supervise volunteers and lead meetings. Adept in coalition building
- Excellent communication skills including excellent written and verbal skills.
- Proficient computers skills required
- Valid California driver’s license with a good driving record
- Commitment to the mission and goals of El Centro de Accion Social. El Centro’s vision to empower low income community members.
This is a part time position.
Visit our website at: www.elcentropasadena.org<http://www.elcentropasadena.org/>